Friday 20 April 2012

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools, but that's the way I like it baby, I DON'T WANNA LIVE FOREVER!

In the absence of my email at the moment (bloody server) I shall heretoforth and henceunder say - FUCK ME! MAI PO ROCKS! (Sounds a bit like "Hanoi Rocks", don't it?)


We've just had two days at the mother of all wader spots - utterly, utterly unreal - Black-faced Spoonbill, Saunders's Gull and 36 species of wader: highlights being - Nordmann's Greenshank, Asiatic Dowitcher (plenty), Great Knot, Mongolian, Lesser and Greater Sandplovers, Tereks, BBSands, gazzilions of Red-necked Stints and Curlew Sands, Long-toed Stints, Marsh Sands by the bucketload, Oriental Prat, Tringas of all types by the shedload and......drum roll....after apocalyptic thunderstorms flooded out the mudflats just after high tide (so the "tide" actually rose again!), and the whole wader flock stayed close in for about three hours longer than they were supposed to....another drum roll....THE ACE OF SPADES! I have offically now soiled my pants - a nearly summer-plumaged adult Spoonie did its thing for us for a full hour in front of the northernmost floating hide - unbe-effing-lievable.....!

Here's the actual boy (not my photo):


What a moment - what a bird. How many people get to see the "holy trinity" of mega rare Asiatic waders in one day, in one place, plus Saunders's Gull, BFSpooner and all the rest. Unbelievable. And we also ticked Annika Forsten in the hide with us. Great days, mates......

1 comment:

  1. Awesome stuff Simon! Had a blast there myself, personal highlights being Asiatic and Long-billed Dowitchers standing next to each other and the surprise appearance of a spanking male Pied Harrier. No Spoonie for me... but then I didn't 'need' it ;) Would go back tomorrow... if it was in my circle, of course!

    ReplyDelete