Sunday 26 February 2012

Ups and downs

The first Nunnery Lakes Oystercatcher (104) of the year was in on Saturday morning. I spent much of the rest of the day (and a fair bit of Sun) fighting a losing battle with Leylandii stumps in my garden. Repeated sky-scans failed to yield the hoped-for Red Kite and worse was to come - squadrons of (mainly Lesser Black-backed) gulls over in the afternoon included a white-winger... but I didn't see it til it was right over head and within a second or two, it was a***-end only views, after which it was never to be seen again.

When I was texted about a 4cy Iceland Gull at Livermere today (Sun) I naturally wanted to get even so I put down the axe and hit the tarmac. Missed it by about 45 mins - though friends who'd set off from Thetford by car, 15 mins ahead of me, missed it too which made me feel slightly better. Mediterranean Gull (105) was fair compensation, and 7 European White-fronted Geese were not asleep (unlike the ones I biked all the way to Micklemere for, little more than a week ago!).

Percentage of target to date - 68%
Distance cycled - 126.6mls / 203.7km
Latest addition - Mediterranean Gull (105) 26 Feb

No comments:

Post a Comment